When this bridge was built 79 years ago, my dad had just turned age 10, and I would assume that if it could talk, it would have quite a lot to say!
- There were over 6 million unemployed in Germany!
- The British sub HMS sank!
- The comedy serial Vic and Sade debuts on NBC Radio!
- Babe Ruth makes his famous called shot in the fifth inning of game 3 of the World Series held in NY!
- Democrat Franklin D. Roosevelt defeats Republican President Herbert Hoover in a landslide victory.
- You could buy a Ford Model B automobile for only $495!
- Gasoline was ten cents a gallon ($1.20 in today’s funny money).
- Jack Benny is heard on the radio for the first time on Ed Sullivan‘s show.
Since that long ago time, this bridge has carried countless people from one side of Swan Creek to the next. It’s also one of the few remaining artifacts of the original site of the town of Forsyth, Missouri before it was moved in 1950.
Even today in late 2011, this sturdy reinforced concrete structure is a testament to the engineers of that long ago time who built with pride!