Steamed Red Cabbage versus Green Cabbage Taste Test

On a very cold February day, I checked out my fridge and while it was not bare, nor was there an overwhelming selection of food. I did notice in the back, behind the mayo and just to the right of some leftovers was a baggie containing a small head of red cabbage. I had purchased it sometime in the dim past (a week or maybe a month ago) with the intention of using some as an ingredient for soup. Never got around to it, so there it has sat ever since.

Now on this date, I decided, what the heck. It should taste just like the green variety. Right? I mean I love steamed cabbage with a little butter so I decided to give it a try. I did have the presence of mind to check the internet (I did a search) to see if there were any blogs on this subject, but came up empty. One entry alluded to the fact that red cabbage has more antioxidants and a more ‘robust’ taste, but that was about it. Ah, so a taste test is in order! (I come from a long line of ‘experimental chefs’, none of which has enjoyed a particularly long life span).

After having tried this dish, I can say without a doubt, the taste is absolutely the same! I could discern no difference in either the taste or the texture.  Now, if the claim is that the red stuff is healthier for you, then that would be a plus in it’s favor. I’m not sure that’s the case here, however. Also, I can’t remember if red costs more than green and will check that out next time I go shopping.

Update: I have never gotten the chance to check out and compare the prices of red versus green. If someone out there has, please leave a comment!

Advertisements

About forsythkid

I am just a simple man with a head full of sand who is currently residing in a small town called Forsyth Missouri. I enjoy hiking, camping and all things related to gardening. I rec’d my degree from SIU majoring in Biology many moons ago and still maintain a great interest in the study of all living things. My hobbies include meteorology, the Finnish language and inhabiting cyberspace whenever possible.
This entry was posted in Danomanno, Meals, Nutrition, Vegetables and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Steamed Red Cabbage versus Green Cabbage Taste Test

1. Sarah says:

I just bought a head of red for $0.99 a pound and a head of green for $0.59 a pound

2. Ali R says:

Thank you for this post. Here I am two and a half years later wondering the same thing, only with a not so adventurous family. We’re going to steam this head of red cabbage and I will confidently tell the kids they’ll like it. BTW: Red cabbage runs about $0.40/# more than green in my experience, but if it is more nutritious, the cost is moot.

3. Judy says:

I was just reading about cabbages and it said Napa Cabbage has a gentler wonderful flavor. Bok Choy was also noted as a cabbage. Hmmm

4. Janis Beal says:

Red cabbage generally costs more but is worth it for all the extra nutritional value. It’s much higher in many vitamins and also offers antioxidants.

5. Steve says:

Hey kid, thanks ! OsceolaSteve here, Osceola, Mo. Imagine, Bing sent me to your post first !…….have a great year !

6. Kaotick says:

Red is definitely more than the green as far as cost.

7. Deborah Argabrite Sherman says:

Purple cabbage costs about 20 cents more a pound than green

8. Big JIM says:

Thank-you for taking the time to post this. I found a recipe for KFC cole slaw online and wondered if there was a flavor difference between the two if i sub red for green. I vote for the nutritional benefits of the red. Thanks.

9. Sophie Leo says:

I stand here in Wegmans deciding between red or green cabbage. After a minute or two of “Googling,” I find out there there is no significant nutritional difference between red and green cabbage. The green cabbage is priced at $.49/lb while the red is priced at $.79/lb. Green cabbage it is!